Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Cleaning out the shed

Today I started to clean out the shed. It used to be on my parents property, but my parents sold some of our land to our neighbor, and he needs to park his new (used) tractor in the shed. God, there was a lot of building material crap left over in there. I think I removed about five bundles of asphalt shingles, mind you, there were about 20 styles, all mismatched. There were toilets, bathroom sinks, used windows that were cheap to begin with, carpeting (it has been outside for 20 years!), downspouts and gutters, etc. All of it is total crap that needs to be pitched. I looked in the 1980 Econoline to see what was stored in there. 90% of it is unusable for me in Baltimore. There was some 1/4 round moldings, and some old doors. Everything else was just random scraps of moldings. Trying to piece together what is in the van might cost more than just starting completely from new. My dad wants to save some knotty pine paneling, despite having no use for it, just because it was expensive. He needs to get with reality, he's going on 71 years old and does not work for people anymore.

My dad (unwisely) is proposing that I use the dishwasher, fridge, washer and dryer that people have given me, instead of buying new appliances. Granted, I would be saving a little bit of money up front, but I would have mismatched appliances that are heading into their twilight years. I would think it would be better for me just to get all new stuff and have (hopefully) many years of trouble free stuff. My dad wants me to take the Jenn Air and put it in my kitchen. Never mind they are replacing it from our kitchen now because I melted it and the thermostat is fried on it. I think if I take it, it would go in the basement, in the bar area. Another friend of mine told me she found a bathtub for me. Unfortunately, it is not a claw foot, just a generic suburban bathtub. Now if someone is throwing out pocket doors, claw foot tubs, marble mantles, historic light fixtures, etc, I would be interested. Otherwise, new fixtures are more appropriate in this case. I don't want this place to look like a Vito Simone rehab job.

My mom went out to lunch with some of her old co-workers in Baltimore. One of them bought a house in Hamden, near Café Hon. On their way back down to Prince George's County, they took a spin by where my house will be. All the people in the car loved what will be my house. They saw so much promise. And that was without revealing the fact that it was used to film a movie.

In a little bit, it will be time for me to pick Tim up from work and go to the furniture store to pick up his new dining room set his mom bought him about a month ago. I'll assemble it for him. I'm trying to save his mom some money.

Oh yeah. The terror alert level went from Orange to Yellow for the DC area today. Yawn.

In my next post, I'll probably bitch about the DofMA, respond to Dan's comments, and other stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home