Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Hang up the phone while driving the bus!

This one is So Prince George's County.

Yesterday, a Prince George's County Public School bus, transporting about 30 students to Thurgood Marshall Middle School (once called Roger Taney Jr. High, but that's a whole other blog in and of itself) was involved in a single vehicle crash on Temple Hills Road. No student was seriously hurt, all were transported to Southern Maryland Hospital, about a 15 minute drive away. Police issued the driver tickets for negligent driving, which carries a $275 fine, and failing to stay on the right side of the road, punishable by a $75 fine.

The school system ordered bus drivers a few months ago to not talk on cell phones while driving their bus. I don't think cell phones and buses mix. It's too bad that social Darwinism did not take care of the bus driver. And if I were the parents of the students, I would be at SMHC with pitchforks and torches, trying to find the room where the bus diver was being hospitalized. And I hope that this driver gets fired.

We all talk on our cell phones while driving. I have a headset, though I left it at Adam's place in Baltimore recently. And if it is too difficult to plug in the headset while driving, I sometimes just answer the phone without it. Driving a school bus, in and of itself is a very distracting profession. The vehicle is extremely large, there can be up to 50 kids screaming in the back, etc. It was raining at the time of the accident. I think this woman needs something else examined, because it's obvious she does not have a brain.

Talking on the cell phone while driving a school bus is So Prince George's County.

Meanwhile, I found out that Justin got his acceptance to the Maryland State Police. He turned it down. He realized that he did not want to be a State Trooper. His dream, ever since I met him five years ago, was to be a MSP Trooper. I'm in shock, and would nearly kill to have that opportunity that he just got. However, I support him, because if he feels that it was not right to go though with it, it was not right. And he should be congratulated for even making it to that point, which is a very very high honor. He is now trying to figure out what he will do with his dual bachelors degrees in Criminal Justice and Spanish from the University of Maryland College Park.

And everyone: Have a good day. I am looking forward to tomorow's snow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home