Wednesday, August 03, 2005

First trip to the gym

I met with my personal trainer, Julie, today. It was interesting what I could and could not do, from the get go. I am definitely flexible enough to do the sit and reach test with minimal difficulty. My situps are nearly at the Maryland State Police standards. I have good form on my pushups, I just have trouble doing more than about ten. Julie has me on a regiment that will help me if I have to do a dummy drag or pull ups, stuff that will be of value for an application with Frederick City Police. The workout plan also includes exercises that will reduce my run time and increase my run distance, upper body strength, and help with weight loss and weight redistribution. I can already tell that I am going to need to meet with her more than the once a month that is included with my membership.

It's interesting to know that the Maryland State Police has changed their agility test since 1998. They have lowered their standards for my age group, but raised them for other age groups, so everyone has to meet exactly the same standards. In 1998, I would have had to do: 29 pushups in a minute, 39 situps in a minute, flex 16.5", and run 1.5 miles in 12:51. Now, I would only have to do 18 pushups in a minute, 27 situps in a minute, flex 1.5" beyond my toes (16.5"), and run 1.5 miles in 15:20. This is great for me, but bad for older men and women who want to try to become a Trooper. However, it seems like a major dumbing down of the standards, leading to Troopers that are less able but younger. Interesting stuff indeed.

The results are not in from my dad's angiogram and other tests, as of yet. We will know something closer to 7 PM.

The collie, had a sezure last night after I blogged. I had let him out while I was blogging. When I was finished, I was ready to let him in. He went up the stairs on his own. I then went down the stairs, leaving the dog out near the front door, while I moved the Camry for my mom. Then as I was about to get in the car, I heard this thud noise, then he started to wimper and whine. He was stiff as a board, and yelping, and drooling profucely. Finally he was able to relax, but even after he woke up, he walked around like he was drunk, and he has been panting and yelping all day today. I feel sorry for the poor dog, but with my dad in the hospital, we are not sure what we should do about him.

I guess everything else is going well. Good night.

2 Comments:

At 8/04/2005 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't take your collie to the vet? And how often does he have seizures? I'm still watching Mara to make sure she won't have another.

 
At 8/23/2005 1:10 AM, Blogger Matt said...

That was the first one he had in a long long long time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home