Wednesday, January 26, 2005

I'm back in Prince George's County

And I hate it...

Lets recap the second half of the vacation though.

I got to go see Russ on Sunday after it stopped snowing and I got my truck dug out. I was glad to see him. I did not get to see Rob. It ends up he has not got his move done yet, because of the 24+" of snow they got in Boston. I survived sub 0° temps and one of the top five snowfalls ever up there, and enjoyed every minute of it.

The drive home was interesting. I finished all of I-384, I-291, and I-691 in Connecticut. Tim and I took a four mile detour at Waterbury and turned north, to get Litchfield County, which both of us have never been to. We turned around and followed CT 8 South to I-95, and then we cut over I-287 to the Tappan Zee Bridge and turned south on the Garden State Parkway. Took that to the NJ Turnpike, followed that to I-195, took that West to I-295 North, looped around Trenton, and that turns back into I-95. That's when it started to snow like hell. Philly ended up geting 1-2" of fresh snow, at the height of rush hour, when it was not forcast. It took roughly two hours to go about thirty five miles. We met up with Tim's friend Rick in Springfield PA, and turned back South on I-95. I now have I-95 done in NJ, PA, and DE. The drive, after Wilmington DE was pretty uneventful. I nearly had a heart attack when I turned on 107.3 and heard talk radio. Aparently the signal was not working at full strength from DC, and I was not able to get it in Cecil County like I normally do. 107.3 did not become another HFS. Tim got home safe, I got home safe, and it was back to work the next day.

Speaking of HFS, it's back on the air. Sort of. From 7 PM to 6 AM, during the week, and on weekends, on 105.7 Baltimore. It's on the web 24/7. It's not the same as a 24 hour FM broadcast, but I'll take what I can get.

Yesterday, I went to the McDonalds in Marlton. As usual, they were out of stuff. I wanted a Ceasar salad. They were out of them. I had to get a cobb salad. Then they were out of cobb dressing, ranch dressing, etc. That's So Prince George's County.

Tony Kirkland has made the news.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-te.md.treatment17jan17,1,1097114.story
http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=9584

I'll let the articles speak for themselves. I have composed a letter to the editor of the City Paper.

This morning, I woke up and had to take my dad to the emergency room. I'll keep everyone posted on that.

Generally people get homesick when they are on vacation. I'm sick of Maryland. Our radio is awful. Our fast food restaurants are rarely fast, don't have things in stock and are employing rude people. The traffic sucks. Everything here is about keeping up with or beating the Jones'es. Even the neighbors where the rental property is would not have the decency to shovel the snow on the sidewalk at the street. I miss MA.

I remember back in 2000 how much Rob was trying to get me to come up there and take the Civil Service exam for police. He was actively recruiting me for the MA State Police. I wish I had just f*^$ing done it. At that time I felt I could not leave Maryland because of my parents. What a huge mistake.

Have a nice day.

1 Comments:

At 1/26/2005 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Health officials estimate that there are 45,000 to 55,000 drug addicts in Baltimore."

That, from the Baltimore Sun article, is both shocking and embarrassing. I wonder how many drug addicts there are in New England. Of course, not as shocking as waking up and discovered 31 more Americans are dead in Iraq and some dumbass in California used his SUV to detail a few trains, killing at least ten people.

I had a time last summer where I wanted to get out of Maryland, but time tends to simmer things down. I realize now that not only are my friends here, but also that the pre-existing malaise will follow me anywhere. After all, we are "one union, under god," not just "the several states." We are trapped, but when you are given eggs, you make an omelette.

Send your dad our best.

Dan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home