Friday, March 25, 2005

I'm a d100



I am a d100


Take the quiz at dicepool.com



Again, why are we not surprised?

I am about to go run and get a building permit for the driveway at the rental property.

I paid Dan $60 yesterday to help out with a run to Lowes and to do some electrical wiring in the rental property. It really sucks that some of the outlets wont "sit" right, because the boxes are warped.

It has recently been pointed out by some friends that very little, if anything has been said about the Red Lake Minnesota shooting rampage among our nations elected politicians. They right now are more focused on keeping a brain dead vegtable alive, than comforting the families of fifteen victims. Many are wondering "If this had been at a white majority high school, would it be getting more attention." I unfortunately think the answer would be yes. I doubt the answer would be, no, we are getting "used" to these type of attacks.

I remember back in high school, a some of my fellow classmates expected me to go off on a shooting rampage, complete with Ralph running around the school. Um, no. Yes, I was teased, but I knew one day, I would earn the respect that I deserved back then. Even at my five year class reunion, a lot of people were surprised at what I had accomplished, while others said "I knew you would be involved in something big." While this teasing was awful, hurtful, and juvenile, each person involved has entered an age of maturity and looks back and thinks it was stupid. I was able to deal with it while it was going on, beacuse I knew it would not be forever. And maybe that's what the public education system should be emphasizing, that high school is not forever. That middle school is not forever. That elementary school is not forever. It's just thirteen years of a person's life, and what they make of it afterwards is what counts the most. I feel the pressure put on high school students, to get 4.0 GPAs and be involved in twenty extracurricular activities is just insane. And it leads to more teasing, more drag racing, more drug use. These are all escapes from the over pressue being put on young people today. When I was in high school, I did my own things. I knew I could get into college by going though a community college. To me, there was no shame in going that route. But teachers and parents seem to think there is shame in going though community college. I had the best years of my life at PGCC, earned over a 3.9 GPA, earned a internship with the Park Police, and earned the respect of people of all ages. And in high schoo, I tried, depsite the teasing, to have a good time, to relax and to be myself. And at nearly 25, I feel like a better person, because I did not sircume to the rat race that has become high school. And I never, back then, nor today, felt that the answer to being teased was with a gun or bringing my sheep to school.

Off to pull a building permit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home