Thursday, October 27, 2005

The meaning of respect

Last Friday night, I went on my ride along with the Maryland State Police. I rode with a veteran Trooper of nine years. He grew up in Prince George's County, Suitland to be exact, and his dad was a former police officer. The ride along was slow, because it was a rainy night. We responded to an accident scene where a guy lost control of his car, claiming to avoid hitting a deer. The other main call of the night was backing up the local sheriff's office. There were already two deputies on the scene. There were about eight young men, at the scene, loitering at a car wash in a rain storm. We heard one of the men say... "There are not enough of you guys to make us leave.", which was directed at the deputies. He was detained, and the others left in a hurry. What was interesting was the man mouthed off at the deputies, but he showed 100% respect to the State Trooper. That detail may have sold me on the Maryland State Police as my main focus, but I do need to shop around I think.

Harriet Meyers won't be a surpreme court justice after all. Her nomination was withdrawn. I'm glad to see the least qualified person to be put up in the past 100 years won't be making it to the senate floor. Here is my two cent advice to President Bush, put up Alberto Gonzales as his nominee. Or if he has to stick with a woman, put up Marylin Patel. She's the judge that brought Napster down.

It looks as if Carl Rove is going to be indicted. Good. This is President Bush's Watergate. I'm hoping that President Bush and Vice President Cheney are either impeached or resign.

Tropical Storm Beta formed last night in the Cariibean Sea. This is the absolute record for tropical storms since records were kept in 1851. Amazing. I believe that this is a product of both global warming and the natural climate cycle. But I predict that next year, storms will make it into the greek alphabet again. There is talk of using the Swahili alphabet next year if storms go out too far. But then again, the Chicago White Sox are the World Series Champions.

By now, unless you were under a rock, you know that the White Sox swept the World Series this year, with a 1-0 win over the Astros in game four, which handed them the title for the first time in nearly ninety years. Last year, it was the Red Sox. Next year, it will be the Cubs, which have gone since 1908 without a World Series win.

I also got a pay raise at work. It will mean significantly more money for me.

I'm out of here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home